Indeed a health insurance policy is beneficial in today’s time. It does not just cover your family during any health ailment, but it also provides tax benefits to the policyholder. If you are suffering from any pre-existing disease, you must be sceptical if you can get a health insurance policy or not. Well, getting health insurance that covers pre-existing conditions is not a problem if you let your insurance provider know the entire medical history. Moreover, there are ample insurance providers who provide Mediclaim for pre-existing disease. Here are a few pointers that you must look before getting the best health insurance policy with pre-existing health conditions.
What are pre-existing health conditions?
Pre-existing health conditions are health problems that the policyholder may suffer when buying the policy. These conditions can be high blood pressure, thyroid, asthma, diabetes, etc. Having pre-existing health ailments can make your premium higher but still lesser when compared to the cost you may incur when treating any health problems. Here is what you need to know for pre-existing disease cover health insurance.
- The terms and conditions for every policy is different: Not all health insurance plans offer coverage for pre-existing health conditions. You must eye through the terms and conditions before finalising your health plan. This makes it even more important that you mention any health issue, as the insurer would immediately inform you whether you are eligible for the health plan or not. At times the insurer can also ask you to get a medical check-up to understand the extent of the problem that you are having so that they can offer you a health insurance coverage evaluating your health condition.
- All doctor’s visits are not accountable: All doctor’s visits are not counted in your health plan. Suppose you have to visit the doctor for a common cold or a flu. You need not worry as this visit will not be counted. Only the disease that has a long-lasting effect on your body is counted.
- Let the insurer know about any pre-existing conditions: Most of us tend to hide our pre-existing disease thinking that we will either not get a health plan or the waiting period will be too long. This is not true as health insurance for pre-existing conditions are present. Infact you can have several options and select from the ones that you feel is best for you. You will have to serve a waiting period which is also flexible. So hiding any of your health conditions can make things even worse if your claim gets rejected during the time when you actually need the financial support.
- Health insurance for pre-existing conditions are available: there are several health insurance plans for pre-existing health conditions which are even affordable. You can choose the ones which you feel suit your needs. In fact there are also health plans that offer you coverage for a specific pre-existing health condition. For example, the policy for those with high blood pressure can be different from those suffering from diabetes. You just need to be over sure about your condition and be transparent about your conditions with the insurer.
- Waiting periods can be flexible: The waiting period is the time during which you cannot claim any benefit from a health insurance plan. This period varies from insurer to insurer and can also be changed. As during this period, you cannot raise a claim, you can shorten your waiting period by paying a higher premium.
Those who have a pre-existing health issue are at a higher risk, as insurance companies have to provide financial compensation, they avoid giving pre-existing health plans. But there are other health insurance providers who have pre-existing disease health insurance, and you should definitely have one even if you have to pay a higher premium.