News

What to look for in a South African shop?

South Africa is a multiethnic society that encompasses many languages, religions, and cultures. Their cuisine reflects a wide range of culinary traditions by different communities that inhabit the country when it comes to their cuisine. Some popular and traditional South African dishes include boerewors, biltong, etc. Their traditional cuisine is a must-try. You can even make it all by yourself with the help of some of their popular spices.

Furthermore, you can search for their amazingly flavoured snacks. You can head to a South African shop and look for spices and snacks if you want to have some glorious treats in Australia. So, continue reading to learn about the snacks and spices of South Africa.

  1. Corn chips: Corn chips are not only popular but also delicious. If there is a big game on the television and you want some snacks to munch on, you can try the corn chips. The corn chips made in South Africa are excellent for parties and get-togethers. Your family and friends will surely enjoy munching the chips on. As per the San Francisco Chronicle, three ingredients such as salt, corn, and vegetable oil are used to make the corn chips. Eating the chips won’t lead to blood sugar spikes since corns have a low glycemic index. Also, unsaturated fats and approximately 4 per cent of the daily recommended protein are present in this snack. Moreover, you can attain other nutrients such as zinc, magnesium, copper, iron, and calcium. If you like the flavoured chips, you can try a wide range of flavours starting from sweet chilli to barbecue flavoured.
  2. Spices for biltong: Biltong is a cured and dried meat that originated in South Africa. You can use a variety of meat like ostrich and beef to produce it. The cut of each biltong can differ drastically. The pieces are either sliced across the grain in flat pieces or cut into fillets or meat strips. Although it is similar to beef jerky, the taste, ingredients, and production vary. Apart from meat, the most common ingredients used for this dish are vinegar, salt, coriander, and black pepper. You can also look for some spices and seasonings in a South African shop, which will provide you with an authentic flavour. You can try this recipe by adding spices, seasonings and vinegar on the meat strips and refrigerating it for 24 hours. Then, you have to hang it up to dry either behind the fridge or high in the garage rafters with straightened paper clips. You can dry it for about five days depending upon the weather. If you are searching for some machines, hook bags, and hand cutters, you can avail them at the South African store.
  3. Potato chips: You will find some great potato chips made from the potatoes of South Africa. Well, snacking on potato chips provides you with different vitamins and minerals. Furthermore, these chips can provide manganese, vitamin B6, pantothenic acid, vitamin C, potassium, and vitamin E. In the South African shop, you will choose from several flavours starting from beef flavour to tomato flavoured.
  4. Spices for boerewors: Boerewors are similar to sausage and originated in South Africa. “boers” and “wors” mean farmer and sausage among Afrikaans. As per regulation in South Africa, boerewors must contain approximately 90 per cent meat, including beef, lamb, pork, and a mixture of lamb and pork. The other 10 per cent is made of spices and ingredients. So, you can check for the spices and seasoning of boerewors in a South African store. You can prepare this dish by either barbecuing it onto the grill, frying it in the oven, or cooking it in a pan.

Related Articles

Back to top button