When recruiters use skills testing software, it is to ensure that they are selecting the best candidates to match the role. But how necessary is skills testing? Should recruiters turn to skills assessment tests every single time?
There must be a solid understanding of skills tests and the benefits it offers to answer these above questions.
What are skills tests?
Skills tests are usually also referred to as pre-employment tests. organised for candidates during the recruitment process, these tests are designed to determine an applicant’s abilities and aptitude. It measures an individual’s capacity to do the job and also tries to see how they would fit into the hiring company culture.
Reasons why recruiters turn to skills testing
There are various reasons behind recruiters using skills testing software but the major ones are because these tests help –
- Identify quality candidates
Recruiters are often dealing with time constraint when handling applications. And skills assessment tests are extremely useful in identifying the better candidates from the group. Recruiters also find skills testing software useful when there is a massive amount of applications for a single role. This enables recruiters to sift through the applications as quickly as possible.
- High volume recruiting
Skills testing is also used when there is mass recruiting to be done. Recruiters find it efficient and very useful. They send the same tests to all the applicants and then use the test results to see which candidates have performed well. This is helpful in quickly classifying a large number of suitable candidates for the same role.
- Prevent skills exaggeration
Oftentimes candidates might resort to embellishing their abilities and qualifications. That can be very upsetting for employers if they discover their new staff doesn’t quite have the abilities to perform their tasks. So, recruiters must utilise skills testing software to make sure that such a situation doesn’t arise. The results help establish the level of a candidate’s skills.
- Provide a complete picture of an applicant
Interviews are crucial in recruiting but they do not give a comprehensive understanding of an individual. Hence, depending solely on job interviews is not ideal. Recruiters can use skills assessment tests as an additional recruitment tool to gain a holistic idea of what an applicant is capable of and what they can bring to the role.
Important things to note about skills testing software
Recruiters must be careful when choosing a skills testing software to use as a supplementary tool that integrates well with recruitment software.
- Find one which hosts various types of skills tests. Literacy, numeracy, data entry, MS Office skills tests, Accounting, Typing, and Psychometric skills tests are some of the most typical ones.
- Skills testing software is easy to use. Test results are promptly available once candidates complete their tests. It also gives recruiters a competitive edge as the tests can be used as concrete evidence to strengthen a candidate’s application.
- Online skills testing is convenient for both recruiter and candidate. The tests are very easy to administer. Candidates can take the test from anywhere as long as they have a computer device and a broadband connection. It saves both parties a lot of time.