A manufacturer turns raw materials into finished goods. They sell these items to clients, distributors, wholesalers, retailers, and manufacturers looking to generate a large number of complex items.
Manufacturers normally produce one kind of product. For example, you’ll collaborate with a glasswork maker who makes glass bottles and jars. When looking for outdoor products from China like hiking gear and backpacks, you’ll work with one manufacturer like in China that specifically makes these items.
A manufacturer will do more than put your product together. They’re in charge of turning your vision into a final product. All the product are sourced by the manufacturer, producing a supply chain for all of the raw materials, off-the-shelf parts, and hardware required to supply your goods.
To name a few responsibilities, they must develop a manufacturing technique with the appropriate tooling and testing equipment, establish testing and quality procedures, and hire people with the necessary skill sets. It’s a massive undertaking, which is why selecting the right manufacturer is critical.
If you’re looking for outdoor products from China, there are a lot of excellent resources on the internet that you may find. However, there are a few things you must grasp and judge before you begin.
Step 1: Where to Begin
Many sites can provide leads on possible Chinese manufacturers, including:
Your industry’s trade group. Recommendations from business contacts and networking groups, both online and offline. While peer recommendations are useful, you shouldn’t rely only on them when looking for a trustworthy supplier partner. Referrals are a good place to start, but each manufacturer has its specializations. Also, don’t make your call purely based on talks with their salespeople. They won’t be the ones working on the assembly line.
Online Global Source
Global Sources and Alibaba, for example, are online directories of international manufacturers. A company can identify a manufacturer to develop bulk products and import them into their country via Alibaba.
International Trade Fair and Wholesale Market
While there are trade fairs in China where you can meet manufacturers, attending trade exhibitions in the United States that attract Chinese manufacturers is a better place to start. It is simple to visit their booth at the exhibition, furthermore, you can feel the samples like outdoor products from Chinato determine their quality and obtain any pertinent information about the source.
The Yiwu market in China is the largest wholesale market in the country. This market has approximately 40,000 shops selling nearly every commodity you can think of. One of the most efficient aspects of it is that it can support small order amounts – say 1 or 2 cartons.
Step 2: Scrutinize your Options
- You’d like a manufacturer who specialises in this type of product, rather than one who produces it as a second business. Some small Chinese manufacturers can make anything to order, but the quality may be poor.
- Perform an online search and look at their ratings and reviews to see what other people have said about that supplier.
- Choose Chinese suppliers that can maintain higher quality standards and have proven that they can match the demands of Western importers in terms of product safety, labelling, and packaging regulations. Such outsourcing suppliers will have experience with the supply of shipping products overseas and a greater capacity to encourage your product via the incidental procedure.
- Reputable Chinese manufacturers should be willing to provide you with their business licence, internal control system paperwork, and any related certificates.
Step 3: Interrogate Manufacturer
After you’ve found your manufacturer, the following stage is to acquire a request for quotation (RFQ). Send them photos of your product with specifics. For example, if you need outdoor products from China, then let your supplier know the kind of materials you want to use, the scale of the item, and everything else they’ll need to know to create the item.
The RFQ will include –
Minimum Order Quantity (MOQ)
Each production facility has a minimum order quantity. You want to maintain a balance between not spending too much money on buying excessive product quantities and not spending so little money that you’re forced to hire a second manufacturing facility.
Price for Sample and Production
Before deciding on a Chinese supplier, you should have a sample of your product made and inspect its quality. Sample costs will range from free to a discount on the original value of making the item. To sum up, charges fluctuate depending on order volume. Includes a breakdown of prices, such as the item’s value, the value of delivery, the value of tariffs, and everything else that the manufacturer considers when valuing the goods.
Terms and Conditions
Timely management is important in any business. You don’t want to wait too long to receive your product, therefore this could make or break your choice of source. Manufacturers also need payment in return to deliver products on time. As a customer, keep in mind that you may be required to pay the entire amount of your initial order upfront. If you become a regular customer, make sure to inquire about future payment terms.
You can always run an inspection before closing the deal. This plan of action will scare off scammers, while reputable businesses will embrace it. Of course, it’s also a good idea to conduct a background check on any company you’re contemplating.
Advantages of Outsourcing from China
- The high cost of labour is the fundamental reason why many Western companies outsource their manufacturing to China. This is the main reason why a lot of items are manufactured in China and other offshore areas.
- Online international directories like Alibaba can help, but there’s no assurance you’ll find a specialised and reliable manufacturer with whom you can create a long-term connection.
- There are always hazards with internal control, low labour standards, holding felony, payment recourse, and longer shipment durations. You may also be responsible for managing trade, customs, and compliance processes, all of which include several steps, middlemen, and other parties.
However, unless you’re working with an outsourcing agent to help you find respectable overseas manufacturers.
Continuously traveling overseas may not be convenient for all businesses, therefore hiring a sourcing agent helps in reducing the barrier. Local sourcing agents help in language communication, managing production, and checking inventory and final product quality. If you’re a beginner with limited funds, check with a reliable sourcing company to get your hands on the best suppliers.