Every year, many babies are born with functional defects including autism, spina bifida, and heart defects. Some of them cause disabilities for life while others may be fetal. These defects occur in the baby when he or she is in the womb for many reasons including exposure to toxins in prescribed drugs, chemicals, and environment in the workplace, and substances that pollute water and air. In order to deal with these issues, you should hire a lawyer who has enough exposure to such cases.
For instance, birth defects are seen in babies who were exposed to the chemical named Chlorpyrifos, which is used to treat fruits, trees, and crops. To handle these cases, a Chlorpyrifos birth injury lawyer needs to be contacted. Likewise, it is important to learn the root cause of the defects and then hire a suitable lawyer.
Reasons for birth defects
Mostly, the food, medicine, and drinks taken by the mother have a direct impact on the fetus. Some of the common causes are mentioned below:
- Exposure to lead– This material is used in the construction of buildings and to make alloys, ammunition, and equipment that blocks the radiations. It can cause birth defects in the babies if the mother is exposed to this environment.
- Prescription medicine- Some medicines including antidepressants and painkillers also cause birth defects in babies. Every state has a list of these medicines and chemicals used in these medicines that cause significant birth defects.
- Exposure to hazardous environments – Some of the materials that contaminate the environment include pesticides, heavy metals, and chemicals used in water and factories. The study has shown that these materials cause some serious neurological disorders in unborn babies.
- Toxic industrial chemicals- The harmful chemicals used in the various processes of industries such as paint thinners, solvents, and cleaning fluids can cause irreversible defects in babies.
Filing the lawsuit
If you or your loved ones have undergone similar situations, you can claim the compensation. Some of the scenarios in which it will be given are mentioned as follows:
- Past, present, and future expenses of the injury
- Pain and sufferings
- Wage loss, if it is applicable
- Any specific loss
It is highly recommended to get in touch with an attorney with in-depth knowledge and skills. You can also compare a number of lawyers based on several factors including costs and hire the most suitable one.