There are many social media apps such as Facebook, WhatsApp, IMO, Skype, Viver, Telegram, etc. available in the world. The people are mostly using Facebook and WhatsApp in this COVID-19 lockdown. For this reason, different risks are increasing that are related to these platforms. Many fraudsters are trying to trap many innocent people through social media platforms. It can sell products that offer counterfeit, counterfeit jobs, and more.
The CyberDost, Cyber Security, and Cyber Awareness handle that the Ministry of Home Affairs has been running have come up with some essential tips that can save you from any cybercrime.
Tips for Using Social Media Messaging Apps Online
Here we provide some tips as listed by the CyberDost.
- A stalker may abuse important details shared to annoy you. Ensure that you don’t share your information with a stranger like your bank account number, Aadhaar card number, date of birth, or even photo.
- Your personal information and your photos are available in your social accounts previously. So ensure to privacy check that your family and friends can only see your details in your social media account. Remember that you don’t share your details in public.
- You have to split accepting a friend request from a stranger on your social account. You may gossip with your friends and family if they know that unknown person.
- If you go through cyberstalking, let your parents, relatives, or friends know. Complaints need to be lodged in the cyber cell. Make sure you keep all contacts with the so-called Stalker so that you have sufficient evidence.
- You have to think deeply before sharing any photos, making comments, and publishing other information on your social media platforms. Once posted, always posted is the key to social communication. A survey found that about 70% of employers reject candidates because of information posted online.
- If you are not comfortable with some posts posted by your friends, you will be honest about this. Again several people have several forbearances. So it would help if you keet in mind it when you will share something in social media.
- You have to control your comments on social media platforms. Disguise can be a problem when talking about comments on social networking sites. Currently, networking sites require commenter’s to be authenticated so that they can be identified as registered users or not.
Social media is an ideal way to keep in touch with your loved ones, but at the same time, it can be risky when you are not alert. So you have to take necessary precautions before feeling comfortable on this platform. You all need to follow these tips and don’t be tempted to be friends with an unknown person.